Saturday, July 17, 2010

Tuna Tartare with Ginger and Shiitake Mushrooms

I've never had Tuna Tartare before so I have nothing to compare this to. I guess I could compare it to sushi. I like sushi, so it was like doing my own sushi salad. 

I got the tuna grade sushi at HMart, an Asian grocery store in Burlington, MA. They have every kind of Asian food you can think of. I was a little nervous about buying this and keeping it fresh. So, on my way to HMart, I stopped by Market Basket and bought a bag of ice. After I bought the tuna, I put it on the front seat, took the back of ice and put it right on top. It did stay fresh.

This was a real good meal. I couldn't tell it was raw fish and I hate mushrooms too. But these mushrooms just blend right into the salad.

Normally this is around 360 calories. Rocco's version is around 130 calories. Yum!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, they didn't even have you stir-fry the tuna? I was thinking canned tuna. You just can't go wrong with ginger and shitake mushrooms. =)

matbathome said...

Rocco did say that you could stir fry it if you felt unsafe about eating raw food. I wanted to be as authentic as possible. I didn't get sick, so I guess I did it right. Finding sushi grade tuna is really hard unless you live near a big city or a very good Asian market. Canned tuna wouldn't work for this recipe.

Post a Comment