Friday, April 9, 2010

Tilapia Française and Creamed Spinach

This is a two for one special. I did both a fish recipe, Tilapia Française, and a side recipe, Creamed Spinach. Normally, this would run around 900 calories.

There's a bit of a story to this dish. This was supposed to be red snapper, not tilapia. Unfortunately, I couldn't get red snapper. I looked at Market Basket and Hannaford's. Finally, I called Whole Foods and they said they had it. They did. The problem is that they sold it as whole fish, not as a fillet. I have never deboned a fish and thought that this would be a very bad idea if I tried. Anyway, long story short, tilapia was on sale at Whole Foods. So, that is what I bought. The funny thing is, many restaurants that claim to sell red snapper actually give you tilapia. So, maybe I made a lucky guess for a substitution.

So, the fish was pretty easy. a coating of whole wheat flour, some egg, toss it in the pan. The sauce was just as easy. I'm just not sure I did it right. It had kind of a brownish color, which made me nervous, because it wasn't what I expected. I thought it would be be runnier and a lighter color or something. The taste was great, though. I did check online and discovered that the sauce was the correct color. I'm now able to cook fish in the Française style. Oui oui!

My wife volunteered to the do the creamed spinach. I had some left over spinach from the dip I made the other day. We chopped up the other necessary ingredients, and while the fish cooked, she finished up the creamed spinach. It came out very good as well. If I didn't tell you it was low calorie, you would never now. It did have a "different" taste from the cheese based creamed spinach I usually do. However, it was definitely a keeper.

All together, these two recipes added up to around 320 calories. You can't complain about that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment